Find out how to view all the different endings to Super Metroid.
Like Metroid, the Super Metroid ending starts off the same no matter which one you earn. This is how it breaks down:
- First-person "ascending" shot of planet's surface and through clouds
- Shot of the planet Zebes, cracking open
- Zebes explodes
- Out of the explosion flies Samus' ship
- Just before Samus' ship hits your TV screen, image freezes and turns black & white. Over this, the message "THE OPERATION WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY" and gives your time
- Credits roll over plain black background
- Image of Samus in her armor over a flying-star background, and her armor flashes and swirls
- The Samus reveal
ENDING ONE | Image
(< 3 hours)
Samus' armor once again disappears, and here's our favorite videogame heroine in a black bikini once again. Fairly revealing for Nintendo, I must say...she has her hair tied back and she lets it down...say, she bleached her hair -- she's a blonde now.
ENDING TWO | Image
Samus' helmet disappears, of course revealing her face, but she's got kind of another headgear on underneath.
ENDING THREE | Image
(> 10 hours)
Samus stays armored and gives you a thumbs-up.
...After the Samus shot, the same thing happens again no matter which ending you're watching:
- Samus leaps up out of the screen, lands in the background, and fires a shot
- The now-famous "S" logo slams onto the screen in color, then turns black and white
- Message "YOUR RATE FOR COLLECTING ITEMS xx% / SEE YOU NEXT MISSION"
ENDING SECRET | Image
To slightly alter the ending of the game, it is possible to rescue the Dachola and Etecoons just before escaping the planet. On your way out during the final escape sequence, take a short detour in Crateria and go back to the room where you fought the first Torizo to obtain the Bombs near the beginning of the game. Here you'll find the Dachola and Etecoons trapped. Simply shoot the wall on the right and a passage will open up, through which the creatures will escape (Samus, however, cannot). Then get back to Samus' ship. Now, when the ending sequence shows Samus' ship escaping from the planet's explosion, keep an eye on the right half of the screen, and you'll see a tiny speck of light speeding away from the planet, letting you know your friends made it off safely.